A new mixed-use project, featuring ten town houses, may soon be built on currently vacant desert land some six miles to the north of downtown Tucson.
Tucson-based developer Town West wants to build not only the new town houses, but also a restaurant and four-story boutique hotel on property near the intersection of East River Road and North Campbell Avenue.
The structures will go up in what is envisioned as a community setting.
The proposed project at the base of the Catalina Foothills will be the subject of several public hearings in the next month. Ultimately, the project will require rezoning of the site in question in order to proceed.
That rezoning would allow for the town houses to be rented out, while also permitting greater density at the site.
Current zoning in the sparsely populated area allows for the construction of only one house per acre.
The project site is located just to the north of the St. Philip’s in the Hills Episcopal Church at 4440 N. Campbell Avenue.
That church was built in 1936 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
By Garry Boulard
Get stories like these right to your inbox. Sign up for our newsletter