A much-discussed plan to redevelop a prominent historic property in Denver has been given a green light by the Denver City Council.
The 72-acre Loretto Heights College campus at 3001 South Federal Boulevard was for decades the home to a Catholic high school for girls.
Last year, the site was purchased by the Denver-based Westside Investment Partners for $15.7 million.
In an ongoing interactive process with city officials, Westside Investment has proposed re-purposing a number of structures on the campus for use as housing, restaurant, and retail space.
At the same time, the company has committed itself to preserving many of the structures at the site, including the six-story red stone administration building built in 1891, as well as a chapel.
One of those structures, the more than 90 year-old Pancratia Hall, will be transformed into housing with more than 60 two- to three-bedroom apartments.
Also to be preserved: a cemetery bearing the remains of 62 Sisters of Loretto nuns.
While the council vote approves the overall redevelopment vision for the Loretto site, a subsequent vote permitting a rezoning of the site remains to be taken.
By Garry Boulard
Get stories like these right to your inbox. Sign up for our newsletter